How To Register NIN Online – NIN Online Application & Requirements. The National Identity Management Commission (NIMC) is the organization responsible! for the coordination, registration, verification, and enrollment of individuals (Nigerians) for the NIN.
The National Identification Number (NIN) consists of 11 non- intelligible numbers randomly chosen and assigned to an individual at the completion of enrollment into the National Identity Database (NIDB).
The enrollment involves; Recording of an individual’s demographic and capture of the ten (10) fingerprints, head-to-shoulder facial picture, and digital signature.
Reasons Why You Should Register NIN
There are so many reasons why you must register and get your National Identity Number (NIN). Below are why you need your NIN. The NIN is set to be used for all transactions in Nigeria requiring identity verification so you will be using your NIN for the following;
- Obtaining your National e-ID card
- Travel (international passport application & acquisition)
- Opening personal bank accounts
- Getting your driver’s license
- Obtaining your Permanent Voters’ Card
- Participating in the National Health Insurance Scheme
- Payment of your taxes
- Transactions related to your contributory pension scheme
- Access to the welfare and other relevant services from the Nigerian Government
- Transactions with social security implications
- Land transactions subject to the Land Use Act
- Any other transactions NIMC may so prescribe and list in the Federal Government Gazette
Note that your National Identification Number (NIN) is confidential and should not be exposed anyhow to the public.
What You Need To Know About NIN
There are a few things that you need to know about your National Identity Number (NIN), they are as follows;
- The National Identification Number (NIN) is a set of numbers assigned to an individual upon successful enrolment.
- Once a NIN is assigned to an individual, it can never be reassigned, given, or used by another person – that makes it unique in nature.
- In the case of the demise of an individual, his/her NIN is retired once a death certificate is presented to the Commission and the individual’s death is established.
- The National Identification Number is used to tie all records about an individual in the database and is also used to establish or verify his/her identity.
- All citizens and legal residents in Nigeria, from age zero (birth) and above are eligible to enroll for their National Identification Numbers.
- The NIN should be closely guarded by individuals and not revealed to all and sundry except to relevant authorities when requested (for instance it shouldn’t be disclosed online over social media and should not be printed along with contact details on business cards or other office stationery).
- It is a must for all Nigerians and legal residents to register for NIN.
- You must not be less than 16 years of age.
- Those below the age of 16 will be enrolled as minors. They will not be issued the NIN cards until they attain 16 years.
Supporting Means of Identification Documents
Visit any of the enrollment centers with ANY of the following required Original and Valid supporting documents:
- Valid means of Identification such as Old National ID Card, Driver’s License, Voter’s card (Temporary or Permanent), and Nigerian International passport
- Certificate of Origin
- Attestation letter from a prominent ruler in your community
- Birth certificate
- Declaration of age
- Attestation letter from religious/traditional leader
- NHIS ID card
- Government staff ID card
- Registered/recognized private organization staff ID card
- School ID Card (private/public)
- Tax Clearance certificate
- Valid immigration documents
Types of Enrollment Process
There are three types of enrollment process that one can register for the National Identity Number. You can choose to register with any of the enrollment processes below;
- Self Services
- Assisted Services
- Mobile Services
How To Register NIN Online
How To Register For NIN Online, to register, kindly follow the below steps;
- Applicant visits NIMC website to access the Pre-Enrolment Portal https://penrol.nimc.gov.ng and the online Enrolment Form.
- Applicant fills the Enrolment Form online, prints out a summary sheet with a 2D Barcode, and heads to any NIMC Enrolment Centre.
- Applicant verifies and confirms the enrolment data on the system.
- Applicant has his/her headshot photograph, fingerprints, and signature captured.
- Applicant has his/her supporting documents scanned listed above.
- Applicant’s enrolment is acknowledged; two slips are generated and given to the applicant: (a) Transaction Slip (b) NIN Slip indicating completion of enrolment.
How To Register For NIN Through Assisted Service
- Applicant walks into the enrolment Centre with a supporting document.
- Applicant will be verified to ascertain if he/she has ever enrolled using the NIN verification portal.
- Applicant will be issued an enrolment form to fill if he/she has not enrolled before. OR the printed
- Barcode slip will be collected if the applicant had pre-enrolled earlier using the pre-enrolment service.
- Applicant’s forms will be vetted by a NIMC Official to crosscheck the information filled on the form against the supporting documents provided and to check for errors/mistake-filled on the form. Note: applicants who cannot read nor write should be accompanied by a literate individual who can do the form filling for him/her.
- Applicant’s pre-filled information will be inputted on the NIMC Software by a NIMC enrolment officer or the Barcode slip will be scanned by the NIMC enrolment officer to populate all the required fields.
- The enrolment officer will ask the applicant to double-check his/her information for errors using the applicant monitor.
- If the applicant is satisfied with his/her demographic information, the biometrics (ten fingerprints and facial image) of the applicant will be capture subsequently.
- After completing the enrolment, a Transaction ID Slip will be issued to the applicant as evidence of the transaction. However, the Transaction slip does not confer the right to the National Identification Number.
- The applicant will be requested to come back for the NIN within 1-5 working days, as it is subjected to availability of network, authentication, and verification.
- A National Identification Number (NIN) Slip is issued to the applicants after processing.
- The National e-ID Card will be issued to the applicant within 12months after the Issuance of NIN barring any unforeseen circumstances.